There Is or There Are Worksheets
All About These 15 Worksheets
These “There Is or There Are” worksheets can help students to understand when to use the phrases “there is” and “there are” correctly in English sentences. “There is” is used for singular nouns, while “there are” is used for plural nouns.
These worksheets include a range of exercises such as fill-in-the-blank exercises, rewriting activities, or short writing prompts. Through these worksheets, students will:
- Know when to use “there is” and “there are” in sentences;
- Spot errors in sentences that incorrectly use “there is” and “there are”;
- And create their own sentences that use “there is” and “there are” correctly.
By providing students with a variety of exercises and prompts, these worksheets can help students to understand the difference between “there is” and “there are”, and enhance their writing and communication skills. It is important to note that using these phrases correctly can make a big difference in clear and effective communication.
There Is vs. There Are and when to use them
“There is” and “there are” are phrases used in English grammar to indicate the existence or presence of something. The key difference between the two phrases is that “there is” is used for singular nouns, while “there are” is used for plural nouns.
Examples of “there is” in use
- There is a dog in the park.
- There is a book on the table.
- There is a pencil in my bag.
Examples of “there are” in use:
- There are two cats in the garden.
- There are three apples on the table.
- There are many books on the shelf.
It’s important to note that the verb after “there is” or “there are” should match the number of the noun that follows it. For example, “there is” is followed by a singular noun and a singular verb, while “there are” is followed by a plural noun and a plural verb. Below are some example sentences that show correct verb usage:
- There is a pen on the desk. (singular verb “is” after singular noun “pen”)
- There are pens on the desk. (plural verb “are” after plural noun “pens”)
Overall, using “there is” and “there are” correctly can help learners to communicate more accurately and effectively in English.