Ancient Aztecs Worksheets
All About These 15 Worksheets
Students embark on a captivating exploration of the ancient Aztec civilization with this comprehensive series of 15 worksheets. Designed to immerse students in the rich history, culture, and achievements of the Aztecs, these engaging resources cover a wide range of topics and activities. Each worksheet is thoughtfully crafted to promote critical thinking, reading comprehension, creativity, and research skills. Through these worksheets, students will:
- Delve into thought-provoking passages that explore various aspects of Aztec life, including their religious beliefs, social structure, education, discoveries, architecture, and cultural practices. Comprehension questions accompany each passage, allowing students to demonstrate their understanding and analytical skills;
- Reinforce their knowledge of the Aztec Empire by filling in the blanks in sentences, testing their understanding of key terms and concepts related to the Aztec civilization;
- Determine the accuracy of statements about the Aztecs through True or False questions;
- Write their own concise definitions for specific terminologies, deepening their understanding of Aztec culture and history;
- Learn to effectively synthesize information and hone their visual communication skills as they design an infographic showcasing key aspects of the Aztec civilization;
- Develop their creativity by creating drawings such as designing their own calavera or creating their own sun stone;
- And improve their independent research skills as they explore the role of a specific animal in Aztec society and its place in Aztec mythology, deepening their understanding of the intricate relationship between humans and animals in the Aztec world.
Overall, engaging with these worksheets will transport students to the vibrant world of the Aztecs, fostering a deep appreciation for their culture, achievements, and legacy. By engaging in various activities, they will develop critical thinking skills, enhance their knowledge of ancient civilizations, and nurture their creativity.
What Was the Aztecs Civilization?
The Aztecs were a Mesoamerican civilization that flourished from the 14th to the 16th centuries. Their capital city, Tenochtitlan, was located in what is now Mexico City. The Aztecs are known for their advanced agriculture, impressive architecture, intricate religious beliefs, and their practice of human sacrifice.
The Aztecs originally migrated from northern Mexico to central Mexico in the 13th century, and they established their capital city, Tenochtitlan, in 1325. The city was built on an island in the middle of a lake, and it was connected to the mainland by causeways. The Aztecs were skilled engineers and architects, and they built impressive structures, including temples, pyramids, and palaces.
The Aztecs had a complex religious system that was centered around the worship of many gods and goddesses. They believed that human sacrifice was necessary to keep the gods happy and prevent disasters from occurring. Sacrifices were performed in public ceremonies and were often accompanied by music, dancing, and feasting.
The Aztecs were also skilled farmers, and they developed advanced agricultural techniques, such as the use of chinampas, or floating gardens, to grow crops in the shallow waters of the lake. They grew a variety of crops, including maize, beans, squash, and tomatoes, and they also raised turkeys, dogs, and other animals for food.
The Aztecs were conquered by the Spanish in the early 16th century, and their civilization was destroyed. Many Aztec artifacts and buildings were destroyed by the Spanish, but some remnants of their culture remain today. The descendants of the Aztecs still live in Mexico and continue to celebrate their rich cultural heritage.
The Aztecs made several important discoveries and developments in various fields, including agriculture, architecture, mathematics, astronomy, and medicine. Here are some of their main discoveries and achievements:
- Agriculture – The Aztecs were skilled farmers who developed advanced agricultural techniques, such as the use of chinampas, or floating gardens, to grow crops in the shallow waters of the lake. They also developed a sophisticated system of terraced farming on the steep slopes of the mountains.
- Architecture – The Aztecs were skilled engineers and architects who built impressive structures, including temples, pyramids, and palaces. They also developed a unique architectural style that incorporated decorative elements, such as carved stone sculptures and brightly colored murals.
- Mathematics – The Aztecs developed a sophisticated system of mathematics that included a place value system, the concept of zero, and the use of a base 20 counting system. They also developed a calendar system that was highly accurate and incorporated complex astronomical observations.
- Astronomy – The Aztecs were skilled astronomers who developed a complex calendar system that included a solar calendar and a sacred calendar. They also studied the movements of the stars and planets and developed a system of astrology.
- Medicine – The Aztecs developed a sophisticated system of medicine that included the use of herbal remedies, surgery, and bloodletting. They also developed a system of hygiene and sanitation that helped to prevent the spread of disease.
In summary, the Aztecs made significant contributions to human knowledge and culture, and their discoveries and achievements continue to influence modern society today.